Divisional Cup

The second semi-final tie in this seasons Divisional Cup was played this afternoon and saw Gipping Gnats beat Samuels 2-0. They will now play Framlingham Town ‘A’ in the Final to be played at Woodbridge Town FC on Friday April 12th with a 7.30pm Kick Off.

Coplestonians Reserves 4 Stonham Aspal 0
McKay double sees Cops top the table….again!
A stubborn performance by Stonham kept the dominant home side at bay for 43 minutes before Cops managed to breach their rear guard. The result was never really in doubt after this but it was hard work at times to break down the visitor’s defence.
A superb pass from Charlie King set up Connor MacKay for the first chance but the Cops leading scorer shot wide. Josh Howe set up Jack Lawrence but his shot was well saved by the Stonham keeper.
Cops then had three great chances to take the lead but a combination of good keeping and blocks on the goal line kept the score blank. Ross Turner then headed a Steffan Mallett corner wide.
Stonham then broke well but their striker fired over the bar when well placed. Cops hit back and MaKay beat the keeper to the ball as he rushed out but his shot hit the post and went for a goal kick. However, Connor MacKay (sponsored by Wolfe Powell) was not to be denied and he pounced on a defensive error to fire home the opener. HT 1-0
After the break Cops kept up the pressure and a great cross from Mallett saw Charlie Pyett (sponsored by Ipswich Microwave Centre) shoot home to increase the lead. Ben Manuel (sponsored by Merv Smith) thought he had the final touch for the goal but the dubious goals panel (Scoop) gave it to Champagne Charlie Pyett.
Jack Lawrence and Ben Manuel combined well but the Stonham keeper denied the chance and he saved again from the impressive Jude Pelling and Connor MacKay.
Jude Pelling scored the goal of the game when he burst through the visitor’s defence and fired home from distance to make it 3-0.
Lawrence was again involved for Cops as he set up Connor MacKay to fire home his second to make it 4-0. Jonjo Hood-Wright saw his shot saved by the impressive Stonham keeper and Lawrence saw a shot go just wide as Cops ran out deserved winners.
Cops gave a debut to keeper Ben Riddleston who had little problem in keeping a clean sheet….it might be more testing for him next week when the 1st team take on Ransomes Sports.FT. 4-0

Henley maintained their healthy advantage at the top of the Senior Division with a 3-1 win at Sporting 87. Their goals came from Stephen Cole, Liam Ablitt and Colby Hilliard.
The chasing pack are someway behind though all won on Saturday. Second-placed Ransomes got the three points at Stowupland helped by goals from Matt Oxbrow, Brett Smy and Zehnn Young. Halesworth also had an away win as Kaiden Goldspink and Shaun Whiteman were on target in a 2-1 success against East Bergholt at Brantham while goals from Curtis Harvey, Max Poole and Ryan Chidlow saw Trimley Red Devils to a 3-1 win at home to Wickham Market.
The individual performance of the day came from Ashley Blow who scored four times in the opening 36 minutes as Tattingstone won 6-2 at Old Newton. Jordan Flewitt and Lesal Thompson were also on target for Tatt.
In the othe Senior Division fixture Debenham and Leiston St Margarets played out a goalless draw.
Thurston took another step towards the Division One title as goals from Andrew Wood and Kaine Fryer helped them to a 2-0 win at Cockfield.
Somersham are the other favourites to go up and they had a 4-3 success at Capel Plough.
The two remaining realistic promotion candidates played each other with Bacton’s game against AFC Kesgrave ending goalless.
Saxmundham and Stanton also shared the points in a 1-1 draw whilst in the remaining Division One game Achilles had a 6-1 win over Woolverstone.
Coplestonians Reserves went back to the top of Division Two as a brace from Connor MacKay helped them to a 4-0 win over Stonham Aspal.
Alex Biondi also scored twice for Kesgrave Kestrels as they beat Great Blakenham 4-0 to go third and it was the same scoreline between two other promotion candidates as Kirton defeated Wenhaston 4-0.
Also in Division Two Ipswich Wanderers Under 23s won 6-3 at Elmswell and Ipswich Athletic defeated Bardwell 5-1.

Stowupland Falcons 0 Ransomes Sports 3
For Ransomes, it is four wins out of four, this result to back up the big one from last weekend against Old Newton. The problem with setting the bar so high last week was that this average performance felt anaemic and Ollie Fairs 10th minute effort, fired wide of the far post, represented the best chance for either side during the opening exchanges of this match. Ransomes however, remained patient thoughout, laying the ground work for that eventual win. They did not panic following that Ollie Fairs miss but the majority of the first half was defined by a lack of rhythm and goalmouth incident. Neither side had a chance in open play that was worthy of the name and it was a cagey affair for a reason. Both sides saw enough of the ball and yet it was mainly sterile possession, lacking in zip or incision.
There was nothing resembling an actual identity, even the good bits were improvised, and the opening goal came out of the blue. A free kick awarded to Ransomes, one of many conceded by either side, saw Stowupland fail to clear with any conviction. Twice they cleared goal bound efforts off the line and when the second clearance fell to Ben Gutteridge, his geometric cross from the left found Matt Oxbrow all alone to send a looping header back across Whatling to give Ransomes a 44th minute lead.
Stowupland perked up at the start of the second half having felt a sense of injustice at being 1-0 down at the break. They dominated the early stages but the danger was not exactly pronounced, they never looked like scoring. Ransomes remained compact, punched hard and fast on the counter, and increased their lead on 70 minutes.
The visitors had introduced substitute Brett Smy for his debut six minutes earlier, and he made an instant impact. Ollie Fairs’ determined play on the right saw him release a raking cross to the far post which was met by Smy, full of desire, to head home his debut goal.
The remainder of the game was nothing more than a contractual obligation. Stowupland’s focus faded, yet the game remained bitty. The difference in finishing determined the outcome of this game and there was no better determination of the gulf than Ransomes third, scored deep into added time. Ransomes had to do their share of defending until then but Stowupland lacked a cutting edge. They badly needed something but if truth be told, Charlie Langham had a relatively comfortable afternoon in the Ransomes goal as they failed to muster an effort of real meaning.
And so, things only got worse for Stowupland as the visitors added a third on 95 minutes as Zehn Young showed Stowupland how to find the back of the net with the final act of the game. Young swapped passes with the substitute, Brett Smy, saw the space open up and drove low into the far corner beyond Whatling to register his first goal for the club, and secure a comfortable win for Ransomes.
It should be caveated that once again Leigh Cooper brought a calming presence to the Ransomes midfield and it resulted in an afternoon to savour for the visitors, and one to forget for the hosts.

Unity 0 Coplestonians Development 1
(Cops are sponsored by AMH Flooring)
The first half was even with the best chances falling to Coplestonians who didn’t take advantage of these situations. Cops were incisive in their attacking play whilst Unity threatened in an untidy and disjointed way. Throughout the first half Cops were resolute and disciplined. Half time 0 – 0.
The second half started in much the same way and Coplestonians began to dominate proceedings with the defence on top, restricting Unity to long range efforts which Oscar Anderson (sponsored by Tollgate Healthcare) dealt with comfortably. Cops started to look more threatening going close via Vinnie Flory and Dan Bradbrook. Towards the end Cops broke the deadlock. A good passing move from back to front found Rowan Murphy (sponsored by Family Murphy) on the left who beat his man and crossed from the byline, which caused confusion in the home defence. The ball came out to Freddie Milton on the edge of the box. Finding his path blocked played a cute ball to Will Pullen who finished with power to give Cops the lead with minutes remaining. The team then comfortably saw the match out for a deserved win. Full time Unity 0 Coplestonians Development 1

Photos below from Saxmundham 1 Stanton 1 (Daryl Butcher)