The top two in the Senior Division were not in action as Henley were without a fixture and Trimley Red Devils game against East Bergholt unable to beat the weather.
Third-placed Ransomes failed to gain any ground going down to a 3-2 home loss against Tattingstone. Jaydn Huggins, Elliott Crowe and Kyle Ferguson netted for Tatt while Brandon Archer and a Josh Hender own goal were the Ransomes scorers.
The local derby in the North of the county between Halesworth and Leiston St Margarets ended all square. Jake Addison gave Saints a first half lead only for Toby Paine to level after the break.
Coplestonians excellent form continued as they returned from Old Newton with a 3-1 win helped by goals from Baden Holmes, Darren Mills and Adam Singh.
Claydon remain rooted to the foot of the table after losing 2-0 to Stowupland Falcons at Gainsborough. Wickham Market moved five points clear of bottom place following their 2-2 draw against Sporting 87. The other Senior Division game saw Haughley win 3-2 at Debenham.
Saxmundham moved up to second in Division One with a 4-2 win over Capel Plough . Kyle Messenger hit a brace for Sax with their other goals coming from Joe Moore and Joe Murphy.
Lee Grimwood was on the scoresheet for Achilles at Bacton but it was Ryan Owens’ side who came out 3-1 winners. Achilles also had Michael Velzian sent off. Grundisburgh also claimed three points as they came away from Woolverstone with a 4-2 win.
There were two Second Round ties completed in the Morrison Freight Trophy. Elmswell caused an upset by winning 3-2 at higher division Stanton in a game switched to Stanton due to flooding. Jordan Sylvester and Will Hayden are among Elmswell’s goalscorers. In the other tie Somershan won 8-1 at Wenhaston. Somersham and Elmswell will now play each other in the last 16.
Division Two leaders Sporting 87 Resevers went down 3-2 at home to Kirton Athletic with Ashley Wood netting a late winner.
Two goals from Jordan King helped Coplestonians Reserves remain in second following a 5-1 success over Ipswich Wanderers Development.
Ipswich Athletic gained their first points of the season with a 2-1 win at Great Blakenham and they leapfrog Stonham Asoal and Bardwell who drew 3-3.
Ransomes Sports 2 Tattingstone Utd 3
Ransomes Sports and Tattingstone Utd produced a New Year treat for the neutrals that hurtled along at 100 mph. It was a feast of end-to-end play in which the defences went awol and neither team enjoyed outright control although Tattingstone can point to their overall possession and how they emerged as victors from an invigorating tussle. The end score was 3-2 to Tattingstone but might have been a 5-5 draw or 7-6 to either side, so breathless and harum-scarum was the entertainment from beginning to end.
The clock read 90 seconds when Brandon Archer almost opened proceedings but his header at the far post was not clean and ended up the wrong side of the upright.
Already the fare was wide open and fervent but Brandon Archer made amends on 3 minutes as Ransomes opened the scoring. When a delivery from the left was not dealt with by the Tattingstone defence the ball fell kindly to Archer on the edge of the penalty area and his supernatural strike left Hender, in the visitors goal, a bystander – the hosts now had the early initiative.
Tattingstone looked befuddled and a good yard off the pace in those opening exchanges but then came the surprise of an equaliser on 6 minutes which arrived because Ransomes had switched off. Huggins had copious time and received zero pressure as he was allowed to head home an equaliser for the visitors.
Ransomes responded on the front foot only a minute later as Adam Todd threatened to restore the Ransomes lead but Hender saved well at his near post at the expense of a corner.
Both opening goals told a tale of two iffy rearguards, a yarn that continued when Ransomes keeper Charlie Langham sliced his intended clearance straight to Blow, but the custodian was spared any blushes by retrieving the situation with a smart save to deny Tattingstone the lead.
Ransomes had welcomed Tattingstone having lost to the newly promoted side in their opening game of the season and on 13 minutes they were breached again. Charlie Langham was allowed no chance as a cut back from the left saw Crowe coming on to the ball to net a crisp low strike into the bottom corner.
With their noses in front, Tattingstone lengthened their stride after a sticky start. Their confidence returned, they threatened to turn the remainder of the first half into an ordeal for Ransomes. The home side then had an almighty let off on 25 minutes when Ben Gutteridge was on hand to prevent Tattingstone from increasing their lead with a timely headed goal line clearance as a further goal looked certain.
Tattingstone were forming crucial links down both flanks which continued to open up proceedings for them, hinting at problems for Ransomes.
For a while nothing happened. Ransomes had to recrank their engines and they adjusted their shape. A fine start to this game had morphed dramatically since that opening goal and their inability to win the ball high up was a factor in their opponents supremacy as the half drew to a close.
After the interval, next up was a smorgasbord of incidents. On 48 minutes, Hender in the visitors goal made a stunning save from a Josh Carracio volley but from the resulting corner, the keeper got himself into all sorts of problems as he palmed a near post delivery from Brandon Archer into his own goal. It was a hapless attempt at keeping the ball out but the keeper responded with yet another spectacular save on 55 minutes from a Matt Oxbrow drive as Ransomes came agonisingly close to regaining the lead.
Tattingstone had made a shaky start to the second period as Ransomes had bossed proceedings, but there were remanants of their pace and industry that had powered their first half performance. Reality then intruded as Ransomes’ enduring defensive fallibility re-emerged. As the game ticked past the hour mark Tattingstone stitched together a slick move that saw Charlie Langham, with an an outstretched arm, save low to his left but Ferguson was “Johnny-on-the-spot” to fire home into an unguarded net.
It was a cruel blow for Ransomes and with 25 minutes it was possible to feel the demons circling, but still still Ransomes continued to enter some good areas in their search for an equaliser, but they were wasteful. Danny Allen got his half volley all wrong and Ricky Dunne flashed a good chance wide of the far post. Matt Oxbrow went on to head a free kick against the bar and Keiron Double could not keep his follow up down as he headed over from six yards.
Despite eight minutes of added time, the feeling took hold with increasing force that it might be one of those days for Ransomes, and try as they did, they could not salvage the point that their overall play probably merited.

Dominant Cops secure the three points at Church Road!
SIL Senior League
Old Newton United 1 Coplestonians FC 3
(Cops 1st team are sponsored by Venue 16 and BP Electrical)
Cops were looking to avenge an early season home defeat by Old Newton. With Nay Woollard suspended, Jonny Linard took a midfield role and Ross Turner returned at right back after injury.
The play was even in the early stages as Linard shot wide and Roan Tucker collected well when the home side pressed. A cross from Darren Mills saw Linard head wide but Cops soon took the initiative when a defence splitting pass from Luke Read set Darren Mills clear and the striker jinked his way into the area to fire home – a fine individual goal. Linard then shot straight at the keeper and Ronaldo Wright just failed to extend the lead after fine work from Mills.
Cops were dominant at this stage but Tucker had to be alert and dashed out of his goals to deny a home attack. There were claims at both ends for a penalty but the Referee denied the appeals before Mills saw another shot saved by the keeper. HT 0-1
After the break Cops continued their domination and a fine free kick, whipped in by Baden Holmes (sponsored by Greenscape Energy), found the net to give Cops a two goal advantage.
The home side threatened the Cops rearguard only rarely but Tucker still had to be alert and made a fine save to keep Cops two goals ahead. Both Linard and Jordan Godbold fired over when well placed but substitute Adam Singh headed home a third goal to make the game safe. A defensive error allowed a consolation goal from the home side but Cops deservedly ran out 3-1 winners. FT 1-3

Reserves put Wanderers to the sword in second half salvo.
Coplestonians Reserves 5 Ipswich Wanderers U23 1
(Cops Reserves are sponsored by Greenscape Energy)
Cops reserves were looking to avenge their earlier defeat in the season and they started the brighter with some decent possession football. Not too long into the game and Jack Lawrence found space between Wanderers midfield and defence and struck a 25 yard effort into the top corner. However, Cops then struggled to keep the ball and heaped pressure on themselves which Wanderers gladly accepted when their pacey striker slipped in and found the net with a good finish. Half time 1-1.
After a lengthy team talk, Cops knew what they needed to do to turn the tide and they did just that. First Jordan King (sponsored by LJP Plumbing & Heating) scored with a good finish to make it 2-1 and hit both posts before Ty Read nodded in the rebound to make it 3-1. After good work by Jude Pelling, he released a through ball to Connor MacKay (sponsored by Wolfe Powell) who lobbed the oncoming keeper. Cops introduced the remainder of their subs at 4-1 and a long throw-in saw Charlie King roll his man and pull the ball back to Jordan King who slotted home to score his brace. A pleasing second half after a poor first half to ensure the points were taken by Cops. Full time 5-1.