Acton from Wickham Market 2 Halesworth 4

Ransomes in Seventh Heaven
Paul Deacon
3 Mar – 06:23
Share via
Ransomes Sports 7 Old Newton Utd 3
Remember the fallout from Ransomes start to 2024…………it was three consecutive defeats, and seemingly irrefutable evidence that they slipped back into bad habits, but, for now, it is another three welcome points on the board. Old Newton were the latest to suffer from the rampant, creative energy that has catapulted Ransomes into 2nd place (albeit having played more games than the challenging teams around them). With Leigh Cooper conducting an impressive home performance, Ransomes made it three successive league wins in some style.
After the encouraging 1-0 win over Halesworth last time out, another impressive home win beckoned when Ransomes took the lead inside two minutes, Jermaine Haynes heading home from Kieron Double’s right wing corner. Old Newton however, disrupted that initial momentum by forcing an equaliser just a minute later as Reynold’s shot, initially blocked by Charlie Langham, somehow squirmed over the keeper into the net. Old Newton had some hope but the course of the game was then shaped in 15 first half minutes.
With the game in its infancy, what unfolded from the 12th minute marked an immaculate display from Ransomes. Ollie Fairs restored the home lead and Drew Connick, Kieron Double, Adam Todd, and Ben Gutteridge all registered as the home side took their total to six, all inside the first 27 minutes. The range of goalscorers reflected a team taking responsibility for its recovery……….it was already a deflating afternoon for the visitors with over an hour of this match still to play.
Four of those goals came about as Ransomes exposed Old Newton down the flanks. The visitors continually failed to read the situation and Ransomes took full advantage. Old Newton struggled to disrupt Ransomes rhythm, retain possession or pressurise the home defence.
Drew Connick spurned a good chance immediately after the break and Matt Oxbrow stumbled when bearing down on goal. But on 52 minutes, Connick drew a foul in the penalty area and he nonchantly converted the resulting spot kick.
Ransomes could have added far more but Old Newton did rather better after this. Unsurprisingly, Ransomes introduced all their substitutes and this took away a little of the momentum they had built up.
On 57 minutes, the usually reliable Charlie Langham had a moment to forget as he made a fist of a right wing corner and Pack was on hand to convert a simple tap in from two yards out. Old Newton were then awarded a penalty of their own which Oakley converted with confidence as Ransomes’ sloppiness continued. At least, at this point, Old Newton had showed some fight; a little spark among the damp. There was to be no rousing comeback from the visitors however, despite a fine save from Charlie Langham on 79 minutes which prevented the Newts from adding to their tally. It was too much of a decisive lead for Old Newton to make any real impression in what had been a bewilderingly chaotic, if highly entertaining afternoon. Yes, defensive mistakes were made and both managers will admit to some “soft” goals conceded but overall, Ransomes were strong in their structure, and thoroughly deserved the win.

SIL Division 2
It’s a thriller on the 3G as Tierney Bags a Double for Cops!
With the 1st team game being a late postponement, I took in the Reserves game at home on the Copleston 3G against Wenhaston.
Although Cops top the Division, the visitors have games in hand and are favourites to climb back into Division One.
Cops started the game well and some of their football was top drawer stuff. The passing through midfield was impressive with Jack Lawrence and Jude Pelling picking out some superb passes to Charlie King up front. On 17 minutes Cops took the lead when Jack Tierney curled home a superb shot which the visiting keeper could only admire as it entered the net. Three minutes later, Charlie King was brought down in the area after some clever play and Jack Lawrence (sponsored by Lawrence Glass & Windows) gave Cops a 2-0 lead.
The visitors were denied a couple of times by Michal Paduszynski (sponsored by Scott Clarke Vehicle Services) who was down smartly to save and then to palm a shot over the bar. A slack piece of play saw Cops give up possession and the visitor’s took advantage to fire home and make it 2-1 at half time. HT 2-1
After the break the visitors dominated proceedings as they pressed forward. They hit the post and also fired in a fine dipping shot that struck the bar. However, Cops re-asserted themselves and a brilliant move saw them open up the visitors only to see Charlie Pyett slice wide….so, no Champagne for the boy today… was a shame as he had played superbly throughout and deserved the goal.
Cops struggled after this with lots of substitutions and the visitors took advantage, drawing level and then taking the lead through a penalty for hand ball. Wenhaston made it 4-2 when a disputed corner was headed home and the game was lost.
However, the best Cops player on the day, Jack Tierney, scored again but it was too late for the side to rescue the situation. FT 3-4.

Senior Division leaders Henley had their game at Coplestonians postponed which put the focus on the teams effectively competing for second place.
Ransomes remain in that position after a 7-3 win over Old Newton. The hosts were 6-1 up in the opening half hour before easing to the three points. Drew Connick scored twice with their other goals coming from Jermaine Haynes, Ollie Fairs, Kieron Double, Adam Todd and Ben Gutteridge. Old Newton replied through Sam Reynolds, Calvin Park and Tom Oakley.
A brace from Pat Summerfield took Halesworth into third and helped them win 4-2 at Wickham Market.
Nathan Banks also scored twice as Sporting 87 defeated Leiston St Margarets 3-2 at the Victory Ground.
There was another high-scoring game at Bourne Vale where Haughley narrowly beatTattingstone 4-3. Bobby Bell scored twice for the visitors whose other goals came from Alex Breadman and Alex Simpson. Shane Forbes, Isaac Keinzley and Jordan Flewitt replied for Tatt.
In the stand-out Division One game Thurston moved closer to promotion after a 4-0 win over third-placed Somersham. Brandon Salisbury hit a hat-trick with their other goal coming from Harry French.
Elsewhere in Division One Woolverstone won 6-2 at bottom side Stanton while Achilles had a 3-3 draw with Capel Plough. The game between AFC Kesgrave and Grundisburgh was abandoned.
Sporting 87 Reserves went top of Division Two following their 7-0 home win over Stonham Aspal.
Wenhaston pulled level with Coplestonians Reserves in second after beating them 4-3 helped by a hat-trick from Owen Wilkinson. Jack Tierney scored twice for Cops.
There was also a hat-trick for Alex Biondi in Kesgrave Kestrels’ 6-2 win at Bardwell. Elsewhere Kirton won 4-2 at Great Blakenham while Ipswich Athletic played out a goalless draw with Elmswell.