David Meeson

Henley went back to the top of the Senior Division after a comprehensive 6-0 home win over Old Newton. Clark Bruce and Byron Tejano both score twice with the other goals coming from Stephen Cole and Ross White.
Trimley Red Devils started the day on top but they went down 2-0 at a Halesworth side who avenged last week’s defeat to go second. Kaiden Goldspink and Pat Summerfield were their goalscorers.
Improving Sporting 87 put an end to Ransomes recent winning run with a 3-0 success. Rob Pettit netted twice before Nathan Banks grabbed a third.
These are difficult times at Westerfield as they went down to their heaviest defeat of the season as visitors Coplestonians beat them 14-0. Jonny Linard scored six while Jordan Godbold found the net four times.
Ben Prime headed home a corner from the impressive Jordan Peck as East Bergholt took one of their chances to beat Wickham Market 1-0.
Debenham returned to winning ways by beating Stowupland 5-0 at the Leisure Centre while Haughley won 5-1 at Claydon to leave their hosts in the bottom two. In the other Senior game a late goal from Olly Seward salvaged a point in a 1-1 draw for Tattingstone against Leiston St Margarets.
It also was the Third Round of the Suffolk Junior Cup. Holders AFC Kesgrave went out, going down 3-1 at Woolverstone.
The perpetual Runners-Up Mutford and Wrentham also failed to progress losing to a late goal at home to Thurston. Brandon Salisbury and Andrew Wood scored for Thurston with Sam Clay on target for Mutford.
Also in the Cup Achilles beat Carlton Colville 6-1, Stanton defeated Clare 4-0, Grundsiburgh saw off Beccles Caxton 5-0 and Somersham beat Great Blakenham 5-1.
Kesgrave Kestrels returned from AFC Oulton with a 4-1 win. Elliot Hadley, Ryan Melbourne, Jake Eason and Alex Biondi were on the scoresheet for Kestrels.
In the other tie Divsion Two side Kirton Athletic beat Bacton who sit in mid’-table in Division One 6-4.
There was just one game in Division One with Cockfield going down 6-3 at home to Capel Plough.
It was all change at the top of Division Two as two goals from Tom Chandler helped Sporting 87 Reserves go top as the beat previous leaders Wenhaston 3-1. Elmswell are now up to second with a narrow 2-1 win over Stonham Aspal with Romaine Scott and Matt McComb on target.
Coplestonians Reserves thrashed Bardwell 16-0 helped by six goals from Charlie King, four from Jordan King and three from Danny Tatum. In the other Division Two game played Claydon Reserves won 2-0 at Ipswich Athletic

Suffolk SIL Division: Henley Athletic FC 6-0 Old Newton Utd
99 brave souls, donned their winter gear to endure the first properly cold game of the season, and were rewarded with a good performance from Henley, which saw them take top spot after a dominating 6-0 victory over Old Newton.
Henley piled the pressure on from the start, Bruce had already seen an effort cleared off the goal line after 6 minutes, before he opened the scoring with a sumptuous lob from 20 yards, having spotted the Newton keeper off his line, making it 1-0 after 9 minutes. Henley’s attacking continued unabated, Newton restricted to a few efforts from distance, as they defended in numbers. The second goal came after 32 minutes, a fantastic, pinpoint ball from Van Oene finding Cole, he took the ball down, beat his man and slotted home through the keeper’s legs for 2-0. Henley increased their lead on 40 minutes, a slide rule pass from Bruce, picking out White’s run, rolling back the years, he rounded the keeper and picked his spot to make it 3-0 at the break.
The second half continued in a similar vein, Henley controlling the game, Tejano making it 4-0 on 60 minutes, hooking home after a goalmouth scramble. This lead allowed the management to change things around, making four substitutions, more minutes for Shore on his return from injury, another 1st team runout for Ressies stalwart Harry Leeks, a cameo from the evergreen Smythe and a 1st team debut for another Ressie Rahul Deb.
To their credit, Newton kept their heads up and played the game the right way, but struggled to cause stand in keeper Holland any real difficulty. On the day, Henley simply had too much for them. Bruce adding a 5thon 85 minutes, firmly heading home a Georg Ablitt cross and Tejano heading in a Liam Ablitt corner after 89 minutes to make the final score 6-0.
A much improved all round team performance with all 15 playing their part in controlling the game from start to finish. Tejano narrowly won the Ultra’s MOTM vote, pipping Bruce and Van Oene in the running, but Bull and Bell were also worthy of mention in their defensive roles.
Newton are clearly going through a transitional period, with a lot of impressive youngsters in the squad, their commitment to playing good football, their character and teamwork is a credit to their managers.
A word too for referee Mark Warden, he had a great game, in control throughout, decisive and communicated clearly to both sides, a top showing from a top official.
Charlie McCarthy 18 & 57 mins
Ricardo Phillips 24 mins
Callum Fratel 42 mins
George Connor 48 mins
Jak Morley 66 mins
Luke Keeble 16,63 & 89 mins
Kevin Barker 31 mins
REFEREE: Carl Phillips
PHOTOS: Paul Voller. Many thanks for these great action shots
SIL Division Two side Kirton progressed to the Quarter-Finals of the competition following this goalfest.
A quiet opening 15 minutes gave little indication of what was to come. Luke Keeble put Bacton ahead on 16 minutes as he was played through the heart of the home defence before producing a fine finish into the top corner.
However, Charlie McCarthy equalised three minutes later with a goal which was a carbon copy of Keeble’s with Ricardo Phillips providing the assist.
Ricardo Phillips then put the hosts ahead when he curled home a free-kick from 20 yards. Kirton full-back Charlie Parker then cleared a Harry Perry effort off the line before the experienced Kevin Barker squared the tie on the half hour as he appeared to force home Harley Jordan-Smith’s cross under pressure from Parker.
Both sides had further chances as the game went from end to end until Kirton restored their advantage just before the break with Ricardo Phillips setting up Callum Fratel for a fine finish from 10 yards out.
The hosts upped a gear at the start of the second half with substitute George Connor racing clear onto a Charlie Bance pass to make it 4-2 and then the skilful McCarthy converting Connor’s cross for number five.
Bacton were not finished and Keeble slotted home across the keeper to make it 5-3. McCarthy then crossed for Jak Morley to add their sixth midway through the half at the second attempt.
Bacton then missed two great chances with Keeble and Perry failing to hit the target from eight yards out and then their centre half Alex Rice headed against the post. Morley also hit the post for Kirton before Keeble converted Jordan-Smith’s cross late on.
However, despite 10 minutes of added time during which Jordan-Smith’s corner was deflected against the bar, Bacton were unable to score again and Kirton went through.
All credit to groundsman Steve Barnes for providing an excellent surface in the recent wet weather
Ransomes brought back down to earth
Paul Deacon
26 Nov – 08:47
Share via
Sporting 87 3 Ransomes Sports 0
The longer a run is going, the more likely it will end, and that is exactly what happened to Ransomes. Their six-game winning run started with victory over Sporting 87 in the reverse fixture and ended with defeat against the same opposition. Now it is just a memory.
Ransomes, who have undergone something of a transition this season, never found the dynamism that has served them so well recently and they looked short of a natural goalscorer as they struggled in front of goal.
From the start, Ransomes went with a back three, an ambitious shape considering that they have not kept a clean sheet all season. This allowed Sporting 87 to create patterns early on, to press in packs and find overloads out wide. As a result, it took Sporting just nine minutes to score the opening goal as Pettit fell on a loose ball in the box to turn, and fire low into the bottom corner.
Now it was time for Ransomes to get angry, and they responded well until they reached the final third where they could not land a telling blow. Danny Allen’s opportunity to take aim at goal was too high, whilst Ransomes’ brightest moment arrived on 15 minutes when Brandon Archer went hurtling towards goal from the inside left channel only to place his shot wide of the far post.
The only other thing that Ransomes could point to was right on the half time whistle as a Kieron Double header flashed across the face of the goal, wide of the opposite post when maybe, he ought to have least hit the target.
Before then however, Pettit, with another poacher’s goal as he fired beyond Jamie Sleet, had doubled their lead whilst the visitors remained a side in search of a final ball.
There were a number of attacking changes soon after the break with Jake Hughes introduced for his debut, quickly followed by the evergreen Ben Deacon. The substitutions saw a dominant period for Ransomes when they most needed it. The team squeezed higher and they won more duels as a potential breakthrough became signposted. Ransome had to remain in the contest as long as possible to exploit any defensive vulnerability in the Sporting 87 ranks. If that bears reporting, it was because Ransomes knitted a few moves together in the second half but there was never the same feeling that they had another comeback in them.
Instead, they were three goals down and out of it on 71 minutes. It was another flash of ruthlessness as Sporting broke on the turnover just inside their own half to outnumber Ransomes at the back, and Banks easily scored. This third goal encapsulated both the hunger and desire that underpinned Sporting’s merited victory.
It had never felt that Sporting 87 would crack. There was no panic. They survived the sticky spells, held their shape, and kept Ransomes at arm’s length. Ransomes didn’t have a rabbit in their pocket to pull out this time. They won’t get the violin out and start crying. They did not deserve to win with how they played – Sporting 87 were much the better team on the day.
Westerfield United 0 Coplestonians FC 14
(Coplestonians are sponsored by Venue 16 & BP Electrical)
The home side defended well in the early stages as Cops put on early pressure. However, Jack Severy’s great cross saw Jordan Godbold hit home a powerful right foot effort past Burn. On 19 minutes Jonny Linard saw his shot blocked but it fell to Jack Severy who fired home. A fine run by Brad Sayer saw Jonny Linard increase the lead with a powerful shot.
Ronaldo Wright headed just wide from Severy’s cross before Jack Severy fired home a superb 4th goal for Cops on 31 mins. A minute later Jonny Linard made it 5-0 when he fired home a loose ball. Severy was again the provider as his corner was headed home by Ronaldo Wright. On 44 minutes a fine jinking run by Godbold saw Jonny Linnard hit home another goal as the ball bounced over the diving Burn. HT 0-7
Cops brought on all their substitutes after the break but this didn’t stem the flow of goals as Ronaldo Wright slotted home on 56m and Ty Read set up Jordan Godbold to stroke home. Johnny Linard scored again on 70 minutes as his shot rolled in after hitting the post. Jonny Linard scored again when Ty Read set him up and when Linard’s shot was saved it was Jordan Godbold who made it 12-0 on 74m.
Jordan Godbold picked his spot to extend the lead further before setting up Jonny Linard to finish the scoring.
To be fair to the home side they did get forward in the second half with a forward run by keeper Des Burn being the highlight! Roan Tucker had to make a couple of saves but overall Westerfield were totally outclassed on the day. FT 0-14
Cops scorers: Jonny Linard 6, Jordan Godbold 4, Ronaldo Wright 2, Jack Severy 2.
MOTM: Jack Severy.

Former Cops player Will Davies scored on his full debut for new Club, York City, last night. Davies played for Cops in 2017/18, making 25 appearances and scoring 20 goals propelling Cops to 4th place in the SIL Senior Division.
He then moved onto Leiston F.C. before signing for Braintree this season and then moving on to York a couple of weeks ago.
All the best Will from Cops on this new chapter in your career!

Bardwell Battered by Cops Reserves!
SIL Division 2
Coplestonians Reserves 16 Bardwell Sport 0
This game almost mirrored the 1st team’s efforts as the Reserves ran riot against their west Suffolk opponents. It was 10-0 at half time and another six goals after the break saw Cops move up to 3rd place in the table. Charlie King scored 6 goals with Jordan King 4, Danny Tatum 3, Connor MacKay, James Abbott and Jack Tierney completing the job!
Development go Down to an Early Goal.
Kesgrave Kestrels Reserves 1 Coplestonians Development 0
Early pressure from the home side forced a goal and they hung onto this for the remainder of the game. Cops dominated possession but failed to breach the Kesgrave back line with their best chance falling to Kyle Middleton who failed to finish.
Hayden Brown had an early chance after the break but fired over the bar and although Cops pressed for an equaliser it never happened for them. This was their first league loss of the season but a good learning experience for the young side.